Monday, March 24, 2008

The Great Escape


For the last six months Wonder has meticulously tested the fences for any weaknesses in her cage. As there is only one unmodified entrance/exit point on the cage we knew it was only a matter of time! Last night she figured out how to push up in her wheel, until she managed to pull the whole wheel apparatus off of the cage.
The good news is that I heard her this morning and was able to track her to under the stove. The kids and I were trying to figure out the best way to get her out, when she started to come out. I started to walk toward her, and she just kept coming out. She didn't try to get away.
Her cheek pouches were so full of stuff, I think she wanted to go back to her cage so she could enjoy her finds.
I figured since she was easy to catch I would just let her have everything in her cheeks. But as she unloaded them and I saw the unrecognizables, and a chocolate easter candy wrapped in foil, I decided a trade would be in order. Lettuce and carrots instead.
After another minor modification to be made to the cage when Matt gets home, I think we will have to see how many days until Wonder manages to just chew through the plastic. . .

8 comments:

Kerstin said...

Wonder is very sneaky. She sounds like the master escape artist.

Theresa said...

I think this is definitely one of the animals on my list of what never to own. I have heard too many escape artist stories. It just doesn't seem worth it. Of course I say that now, but I'm married to the boy who read up on how to breed his hampsters and then successfully pulled it off all on his own and is the master at taking care of animals and would never have it any other way so I can only imagine how my kids will inherit the love. It might be difficult to explain to little King Benjamin Daniel Judkins that he can't have a hampster because mommy doesn't want it to escape in the house. I'm sure he'll have lots of reasons why he will be able to keep it from escaping and why he will be successful where many others have not been. :) and then the puppy dog eyes will appear and I'll give in. We'll have to see what life dishes out to me.

N8ster said...

Aspen wants a mouse, and she has convinced Hazel that Hazel wants a mouse.

We told her she can get one.

When she moves out.

kristi r said...

I know I only post the grand adventures of Wonder. But, she is a great pet - for me. You can't beat cleaning out a cage once a week, throwing some food in there every couple of days, and pretty much being able to ignore her. If the kids want to get her out we do, if not we leave her alone - and the lady at the pet store said that hamsters are content with that, and that it actually increases their lifespan by about a year to ignore them. ahh, peace of mind.
So, other than hunting her down every couple of months she's a great pet.

Theresa said...

i guess there's 2 sides to every coin. :) i never used to want a cat either and now I like the low maintenance.

Darrell and Alissa said...

Your hamster is so sneaky! I can't believe it figured out how to move the wheel- that's too crazy!!

i said...

Your hampster is just like my old hampster...Except I never found the little critter after his great excape over 20 years ago. Maybe he's roming free somewhere between Maryland Pkwy and Eastern

Kris said...

I'm starting to see that hampster cage in my dreams now. Come on girlie! If I can update mine you can update yours! How's the running?