Saturday, February 16, 2008

Excited for kindergarten

I am excited for kindergarten, I don't think Andrew knows to care yet. We were in the car yesterday, and Andrew asked me how I knew something, and I told him I learned it in school. Then I told him how excited I was for him to go to school and started to name some things he would learn. I told him he would learn "take away" and "addition". and he wanted to know what "take away" meant. So I said, "You know, if I have 5 apples and I take away 3 . . ." He then says, " Oh, like if I have 3 apples and take away 2, I'd have one. Or if I take away 1 I'd have 2, or if I take away 3 I would have 0. Or if I take away 1/2 I would have 2 and 1/2." . . . . . Can't he go to school already!?!

6 comments:

Randi said...

Man! That kid is stinkin' smart!

But we always knew that!

Earl and Vickie said...

Has he been talking to Nate? Nate likes to send his kids to school knowing how to do square roots and fabenachi numbers and stuff like that before the school teaches it to zonk the teacher.

Earl and Vickie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Earl and Vickie said...

we've been playing the "money" game in class, they haven't done it much yet, just a couple of times, but a lot of them are having a really hard time. Basically they have a bunch of pennies and nickels and a half of a pair of dice. They take turns rolling the die and take as many pennies as they roll. They have to convert each 5 pennies to a nickel and the first one with 5 nickels, wins. They don't seem to get the 5 pennies equals a nickel concept. And a lot are hazy on counting to 5. It's so nice to know my grandkids have brains, and parents that actually teach them something once in awhile.

Theresa said...

wow. that's awesome that he got it so quickly! Now we just have to hope that his teacher doesn't confuse him by calling it subtraction or something less easy to understand than take away. :)

He'll have an awesome jump start. Does he start school in August/Sep?

Darrell and Alissa said...

What a smart boy!