Monday, January 05, 2009

Apple Cider



So, I have been a little behind in blogging. Partly due to not downloading the pictures in forever. These are some pictures taken last October. Here we are making apple cider with our apples. Having approx. six ripe trees at the same time, places it on a grander scale than a simple store bought way of processing the apples. The first picture is of the apple grinder Matt made. He turned a drum on the neighbors lathe, then rigged a motor to it, to grind the apples to a pulp.
The second picture is of some of our hard workers. Jon (a hard worker on many of our projects this fall-especially the fence), and the kids are helping feed the apples into the grinder.
The third picture is Matt and Jon putting the pulp into the press.
Best Apple Cider I have ever tasted!

5 comments:

i said...

wow!!! pretty amazing contraption... how many gallons did your 3 trees make? so fun!

Darrell and Alissa said...

Did I ever tell you your my hero?! You are so good at all these things- I wouldn't even have a clue!!! My apples would fall and rot, except fo the few we would eat!

The Jeffs Family said...

How yummy--what a great idea! I've never made cider before--I have only bottled apples.

Paul said...

It makes me feel bad about myself - hearing stuff about Matt making apple-grinding contraptions.

It took me three hours to assemble Lucy's play kitchen on Christmas Eve. And that was with not using all the parts that came with it. Imagine how long it would have taken if I HAD used all the parts!

Jennifer said...

These are amazing pictures of the apple process. How great Matt is at making things work. Jon is such a great friend. Next year I want to come and make apple fruit leather!!